Monday, April 13, 2020

My Dads (a creative retelling of adoption)



       My best friend’s dad is actually my adopted Father. Once He laid His eyes on me, He said, “my Son has told me all about you, and I would love to hire you, I got an extra car for you to use because my Son tells me yours got stolen.” There I was, a 28-year-old man and He wanted to adopt me? Crazy?! His generosity in meeting my immediate needs surfaced right away with the car. How could I say no? He made me weep from day one with His loving-kindness. I thought it too good to be true, but He kept inviting me into His home and sharing stories with me without wanting anything in return. Well almost nothing, Father kept telling me to chill out and not worry.

Eventually it became easy to be honest with Him even when I knew He would not approve. My best friend helped me understand where my Father was coming from and that was just what I needed to hear. When needs surfaced, my Father would introduce me to just the right person at just the right time to help me. You see, growing up fatherless I had almost never set foot in a hardware or auto parts store. And now at 28 years of age my Father would send His highly trained experts to do the job with me and teach me how to do it all for free. I’ve replaced toilets, doors, flooring, brakes, radiators, the list goes on! He taught me so much through his people that now I am an extension if His graciousness to others.  

It didn’t stop there, my personal adult beliefs that made my life turn out as constantly rebellious, self-centered, going in any direction the wind blows now was being challenged by my Father. It would have been knee-jerk of me to tell my Father off, but instead I listened and read. I had no more excuses. This Father of mine offered me absolute truth, encouragement to change without puffing me up, and He explained the world around me soberly. Like a coach my Father equipped me to rethink and change. What patience He has in dealing with me.

Father showed me where I was misled for years, for example “Life is what you make it” got replaced with my Father telling me that He has a plan for my life and more specifically, He has work prepared for me to do. My entire career was on the foundation of “follow your heart, let your loves lead you”, well my Father suggested that my heart was wicked and deceitful a horrible thing to build your life on and let lead unbridled. As an artist I chose the plunge into “self-discovery, embracing temptations, and “sins” as part of who I am and to not apologize.” My Father sat me down and said that I need to give sin up. That new life in the Spirit was about denying oneself, grieving my personal sin, and doing all I can to kill it. These were some huge paradigm shifts that He challenged me with, but He promised that my best friend would walk with me through each sin struggle. They were not going to leave me alone, this is family!

Finally, I had a Father that spoke into my life; yet wise enough to let me make the changes and ask for His help. As the years of being adopted went by, I loved the promises He made me. I love trusting Him more and more. My Father reshaped foundational things like forgiveness, and thinking of others as more highly than myself. Father placed priorities before me like purity and humility which were never on my radar before. Really though the chewy-chocolatey center between my Father and I is love. Not just the woo or the gushy love. Not just the gift giving or going out to eat love. Not just the joint adventure or up-all-night-talking love. But rather our love is the obeying, trusting, and sacrificing kind of love. In each moment unfailing love.  

One day I opened up to my adopted Father about how my father had died and the pain I carried as a child and youth. “My earthly father died when I was two in an avalanche on Thanksgiving Day.” My adopted Father was full of sorrow and greatly interested in listening. “I always asked myself if my mountain man father thought I was good enough to be his son? Even if I never climbed all those peaks or followed in his footsteps as a dental technician. My aunts, uncles and mother would share larger-than-life stories to immortalize my Swiss dad as terrific and unique to the world, which I’m sure he was. His attitude to everyone’s recollection, without exception was super positive and helpful.” I made eye contact and continued: “Oh, how I thought I fell short of those things my father encapsulated regularly.”

“Even though I didn’t have a single memory of my dad, growing up.” I continued, “I felt that God, like my dad expected more from me than I could give and that something wrong if I am less than happy all the time.”

This made my adopted Father weep and hug me. “You are a trophy of grace, what immense hardship you faced in losing your father.” He paused to make sure I was looking at Him in the eye. “When I look at my Son, I am only well pleased. I am certain your birth father would say the same of you if he could. Will you allow me to say it?” I nodded.  My Father said: “I love you and I am pleased with you.”